Saturday, January 24, 2009

Chasing the Moon by Penny Chamberlain

It’s 1924, and with her mother ill in the hospital, Kit Avery has been sent to live with her father. She travels alone to Saanichton, where she is disappointed to find her old home dirty and neglected. She is worried, too, about her father, who has abandoned farming to work at something he calls “night fishing.” He has a new and very fast boat, but there are no fish anywhere in sight. Kit also wonders about the boxes being stored under lock and key in the barn.
A young runaway named Caleb turns up on the farm and becomes Kit’s friend. Before long, Caleb is drawn into her father’s night-time activities, which Kit begins to suspect are connected to smuggling. She is determined to get to the bottom of things, unaware that her search is about to take her into terrible danger.

3 comments:

  1. Chasing the Moon is a fantastic read! It is both suspenseful and deeply moving. I quickly connected with the main character, Kit. I feel as if I've gone back to the time of the 1920's. I recommend this novel to any reader who is craving suspense,realistic characters and historical setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, will you use it for your genre study? Your description intrigued me... Chasing the Moon is next on my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see why you enjoyed this read, Claire! I'm in the middle of reading it right now and I simply love that Kit. The dad seems like a dead-beat... maybe he'll redeem himself in the end. The mother is this angelic presence in the background... calm, level-headed, nurturing. Kit has a great "base" in her mother's upbringing to deal with her father's antics (and that crazy woman he hooked up with)!

    ReplyDelete